Rating: *** out of *****
Tonight, courtesy of G-Unit-Flix, I popped in "A Good Year," a film directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe. I had heard some lousy things about the film, but given the overall theme of slowing things down, enjoying life, and most importantly, enjoying wine, I decided to scope it out.
I was pleasantly surprised, although as full disclosure, I also had very low expectations. Russell Crowe stars as Max Skinner, basically your typical stockbroker asshole. His uncle (Albert Finney) passes away, and his estate and vineyard in France are passed on to Max. While in France to sort out the details and sale of the estate, he hits a wave of nostalgia from his childhood, meets a girl, and meets someone who may be his uncle's illegitimate daughter. You can pretty much guess where this is going.
At any rate, the movie is trying to be a romantic comedy and while some things do not work, some things do. I like the fact that things aren't too slap-sticky and I like how the film just feels very leisurely. I anticipated only watching the film in 30-45 minute increments, but I ended up watching the entire film in its entirety. That's saying something, I guess. The cinematography is very beautiful and it made me want to book a flight to France right away. Or meet someone like Archie Panjabi, who plays the local French girl that Max meets.
I recommend the movie as a rental. It's a light and enjoyable film. Just don't expect too much out of it.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment