Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Jack Bauer Cut

I decided to abandon my goal of growing a mullet today and went in for a haircut. Now before I go into the details of the actual haircut, I wanted to make two observations.

My first observation is in regards to the haircut rotation. For me, I've been going on a 4 week rotation, which means I pretty much go in for a cut once a month. Sometimes, if I am feeling pretty wild, I'll extend it to 5 weeks. After that time period, it becomes a high priority because my hair is rather thick and becomes pretty wacky. You may recall this period as when I start having a comb-over. Not pretty at all. I think I was on week 7 before I went in today.

My second observation has to do with barber/haircut loyalty. For most of my life in Franklin, I was really loyal to Ralph's Barber Shop in Medway. It was close by, it was pretty cheap, and they had some good magazines. When I moved to Berkeley, I went through a phase where I was shopping around different places. At first, I went to Combs and Scissors in Sather Gate "Alley," but the guy creeped me out. Plus, he used a vacuum cleaner to suck out the cut hair in your head. Weird! I finally settled on The Edge, which provided decent haircuts at a decent price. In SF, I went to Mabel's Beauty Shop (don't laugh), which was only like two blocks from my place. Even though I got a little annoyed at the constant questions on whether or not I wanted highlights or my hair dyed (they later offered pedicures), it was your typical mom and pop place and I felt obliged to return. I mean, Mabel herself recognized me on the streets and would wave at me. It was that kind of place.

So now that I am back in Franklin and in desperate need of a haircut, who did I turn to? Well, I went corporate and checked out the new SuperCuts. I even splurged and got a shampoo afterwards. First time in my life, I think. Anyway, my hair is now super, super short, but man, it smells nice with whatever stuff they put in my hair. My little sister says I kinda look like Jack Bauer. I guess I can't complain about the cut after that comment!

No comments: